Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Developer(s)||Bandai Namco Studios|
|Release date(s)||December 7, 2018|
|Mode(s)||Single Player, Multiplayer|
SSBU redirects here. For Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, please see Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Japanese: 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL, Dairantou Smash Bros. SPECIAL) is a game in the Super Smash Bros. series of fighting games for the Nintendo Switch, and the fifth (if Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are treated as one entry) or sixth game in the series.
This game was first teased as a tentative Super Smash Bros. title with no name during a March 2018 Nintendo Direct, with not much information revealed other than an Inkling from the Splatoon franchise being implied to appear. Later, the game was revealed in Nintendo's E3 presentation on June 12 2018 in which it was given the name "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate".
The gameplay of the title is like past entries in the series, in which characters from (primarily) Nintendo franchises fight each other with the aim of knocking them off the screen and accumulating damage, measured in "%".
This game features all 63 returning playable fighters from the past games in the series, as well as various new fighters from a variety of video game franchises.
Relevance to The Legendary Starfy series
Additionally, Starfy, Starly, Moe, Mattel, Mermaid and Old Man Lobber appear as six of many spirits who can help the player in compatible modes. Their artwork from The Legendary Starfy (Starfy, Starly, Moe, Mermaid, Old Man Lobber) and Densetsu no Starfy 4 (Mattel) is shown.
June 30 2020 update
After the release of this update, Starly, Moe, Old Man Lobber, Mermaid and Mattel can be rematched with the following conditions:
- Starly: "The enemy will occasionally be invincible after a little while" (May be a reference to Pufftop Barrier)
- Moe: "The enemy shields often", "The enemy's shield has extra durability" (May be because Moe has a shell, and has used it in the series to shield Starfy)
- Old Man Lobber: "The enemy's throws have increased power", "The enemy favors grabs and throws"
- Mermaid: "The enemy heals over time" (May be a reference to the Mermaid's ability to heal the player in the Legendary Starfy games)
- Mattel: "Hostile assist trophies will appear" (May be a reference to Starfy being protective of Mattel when he sees her)
- Unique to this release however, "%" damage is no longer measured in whole numbers. For example, the "%" damage may read "50.2%" instead of just "50%".